Comment on page
Please consult with the flowchart graphic below when reading this document.
First make sure that MixEffect is working properly on your iOS device by following these steps:
- 1.Tap Settings (gear icon) from the MixEffect Home.
- 2.Confirm that Enable ATEM Simulator is toggled on.
- 3.Tap Done.
- 4.If ATEM Simulator is not in your list of switchers, tap the + button.
- 5.Choose New ATEM Simulator from the menu.
- 6.Give your simulated switcher a name.
- 7.Tap Add.
- 8.Tap Connect.
- 9.Tap Back.
- 10.Tap any of the switcher controls.
If you are unable to connect to the simulator, post a support request at one of the links below.
If you are running a switcher from the ATEM Mini line of switchers, make sure its firmware is up-to-date by performing the following steps:
- 1.Open ATEM Setup on your Mac or Windows computer.
- 2.Navigate to your ATEM switcher.
- 3.Click on the circular button with a window/menu icon.
- 4.If there is a software update available, you will be notified.
- 5.Perform the update.
- 6.Try to connect MixEffect with your switcher.
Also make sure you are running the latest version of ATEM Software Control.
If you are using MixEffect on an iPhone or iPad, verify that Local Network is enabled in iOS Settings:
- 1.Go to the Home Screen.
- 2.Tap Settings.
- 3.Scroll down and tap MixEffect.
- 4.Enable Local Network.
Verify that Local Network is enabled in MixEffect's settings in the iOS or iPadOS Settings app.
MixEffects prompts you to allow it to connect to devices on the local network the first time you try to connect to the network. It is easy to dismiss this dialog, and if you do that, you will not be able to connect to any ATEM switcher until you turn on Local Network.
If your iPhone or iPad is not on the same network as your ATEM switcher, you will not be able to connect MixEffect to your switcher.
Find the IP addresses for your two devices by following these steps:
- 1.Go to the Home Screen.
- 2.Tap Settings.
- 3.Tap Wi-Fi.
- 4.Tap the circled i button next to the name of your connected Wi-FI network.
- 5.Make a note of the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Router fields.
- 1.Go to the Finder.
- 2.Choose Applications from the Go menu.
- 3.Open the Blackmagic ATEM Switchers folder.
- 4.Open ATEM Setup.
- 5.Click on the left-most button underneath the name of your ATEM switcher.
- 6.Make a note of the IP Setting, IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway fields.
Look at the two IP addresses. Do they differ by only one number? For instance:
ATEM Switcher: 10.0.1.50
The two devices should connect. Please move to the section on ATEM Software Version for more information.
You need to get the two devices on the same network.
If the numbers differ by two numbers, for instance: 192.168.10.5 vs. 192.168.1.15, it's possible that one of your devices is on a guest network. Check to make sure that your iOS device isn't connected to the guest network of the Wi-Fi router. The guest network typically provides internet access, yet prevents the ability to talk to other devices on the network.
Some additional things that you can try include:
- 1.Plug your ATEM into the Wi-Fi router that your iOS device is connected to.
- 2.If your iOS device has a Lightning port, get a Lightning to USB adapter and a USB-Ethernet adapter. Plug in an Ethernet cable between the ATEM and your iOS device and try to connect again.
- 3.If you have an iPad with a USB-C port, get a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. Attach an Ethernet cable between your iPad and the ATEM switcher and try connecting again.
NOTE: It is advisable to make the ATEM available only to yourself or other staff members on the network that it is connected to. Attaching it to a Wi-Fi network that services other people will make it accessible to everyone on that Wi-Fi network. While this is fine if you are using your ATEM switcher at home, it may not be a good idea outside of your house.
Older ATEM switchers run with a slightly different protocol than the one MixEffect uses. Because development of MixEffect was done with newer ATEM hardware, it has been difficult to qualify that it will work on older hardware.
MixEffect is know to work with those ATEM switchers that support the protocols added in version 8.1.1 of the ATEM Software Control application.
If you've confirmed that your devices are on the same network and are still having problems, post your problem in one of the following places: