Comment on page
This section covers important notes about system requirements for MixEffect and what ATEM features are not currently supported. There is also a section on how you can help make the app better.
MixEffect works on any device running 14.1 or later of iOS or iPadOS. Its user interface scales with the screen size, allowing you to manage your switchers from an iPod touch (7th Generation) to the large 12.9" iPad Pro.
You can use MixEffect on Apple Silicon Macs, but there are some user interface quirks that you should be aware of:
- Touch and move events don't translate as well to click and drag mouse events. For instance, clicking and dragging the fader bar works when the mouse cursor remains on the circle. Moving the mouse off of the circle will stop the dragging motion.
MixEffect has been tested to work and run on the following ATEM switchers:
- ATEM Mini
- ATEM Mini Pro
- ATEM Mini Pro ISO
- ATEM Mini Extreme
- ATEM Mini Extreme ISO
- ATEM Television Studio HD
- ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K
- ATEM Production Studio 4K
- ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K
- ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
- ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K
- ATEM Constellation 8K
- ATEM 1 M/E Constellation HD
- ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD
- ATEM 4 M/E Constellation HD
- ATEM SDI
- ATEM SDI Pro ISO
- ATEM SDI Extreme ISO
- ATEM Television Studio HD8
- ATEM Television Studio HD8 ISO
The following switchers are not compatible with MixEffect
- ATEM Television Studio (rackmount version)
MixEffect has been optimized for running on ATEM switchers running version 8.x of the ATEM software.
The Video Follows Audio feature of MixEffect is not available on ATEM switchers with the legacy (non-Fairlight) audio system.
This feature in the Output tab of the ATEM Software Control app requires a Decklink or UltraStudio Recorder to be attached to an iPhone or iPad so that captured video can be stored locally. That's not happening on iOS anytime soon, so the feature will not be implemented in MixEffect.
Support for camera control is limited to initiating autofocus (AF) on connected cameras on switchers with HDMI input ports. Switchers with SDI ports have the Camera Control section hidden due to a potential bug that will lock up the switcher until a hard restart is performed.
MixEffect does not support adjusting the following switcher settings:
- Camera Control monitoring
Support for uploading pre-multiplied images to the Media Pool is planned but currently not supported.
Uploading video and audio clips is not supported.
Lastly, this is not an ATEM compatibility issue per se, but the number one question I get asked about MixEffect is does it work on Android?
The long answer is that my history with Apple goes way back to the days of the Apple ][. I used a PowerBook 180 throughout college and was an early proponent of the Newton, Apple's first foray in the portable computing devices market segment that everyone is so intimately familiar with today.
I understand how to code for iOS, and as a result MixEffect provides an excellent native experience with which to control your ATEM switchers on iPhones and iPads. Learning to write as effectively on Android would take me years, and it's just not in the cards.